Top 5 Tax Issues For Canadian Parents to Consider When Getting Separated or Divorced

Accountant Gila Ossip shares the most important tax tips for Canadian parents who are going through separation or divorce.

When I was going through my divorce settlement, a good friend gave me some great advice. She told me to “make sure that everything you can possibly plan for is included in your agreement and think towards the future as much as possible.”

“I am telling you this because if it is not in the agreement it will become a bone of contention,” she went on to say. My ex-husband and I co-parent very amicably, however financial issues are still difficult to navigate. But I can honestly say that my friend was was completely right, and that this was the best advice I received at the time. If only someone had written it down for me in bold! Tax issues are the biggest problem we have so if you want to avoid this for your family in the future, try this service to help plan your finances in the most tax optimized way possible.

It might be the little things like who going pays for kids’ haircuts. But it also means covering off the much bigger issues such as who is going to fund the children’s RESPs. When you are going through a separation or divorce, working through the financial issues with your ex-spouse early on will save some unnecessary stress and minimize potential complications. These complications include things like having to file for bankruptcy if needs be and involving the help of a law firm like BLC Law Center (BLC Law Center provides a San Diego bankruptcy lawyer who can help you in this situation). It doesn’t have to be bankruptcy though, you might find that you have to deal with other financial issues.

Here are five important taxes issues to consider as you draw up your agreement:

Child support versus spousal support
Child support is not taxable to the person receiving the support, whereas spousal support is taxable to the person on the receiving end. On the flipside, spousal support is tax-deductible to the person who is giving the support whereas, child support is not tax-deductible for this person. Despite the fact that you are divorced there are still financial benefits that both of you can access from each other, e.g. social security payments. This article on divorced spouses and Social Security benefits shows that the common misconception of not being able to get financial help from your previous spouse is not true, however, there are some rules. This could help with child support as well as other family support and is worth reading if you are divorced or are about to be.

If you are the one who will be receiving versus giving child support, it is in your best interest to ensure that the bulk of the money is categorized as child support over spousal support. A good guideline to remember is that a dollar of child support is therefore worth at least 30 percent more to you than a dollar of spousal support. The only exception to this is if spousal support is given as one lump sum at the time of separating. If this is the case, it is not taxable to the person receiving the support. Spousal support law can be complicated, so be sure to find a spousal support lawyer in order to help you understand how spousal support works.

RESP(Registered Education Savings Plan) Funding
RESPs, if managed correctly, will fund your children’s entire post-secondary education. Families going through divorce tend to overlook funding the RESP because frankly, money is generally a lot tighter once there are two homes. It’s easy to forget about this while trying to deal with more immediate issues, like figuring out where everyone is going to live. Still, it’s crucial to ensure that that financial agreement specifies how the RESP is going to be funded, whether it be through 50/50 contributions from both of you, or something different.

You will also want to discuss how you will hold each other accountable towards the agreements you have for education savings. For example, in my case, we both receive the bank statements for our children’s RESP (to ensure we’ve both been making those contributions) and decisions regarding investments need to be agreed upon by both of us.

Childcare costs and paperwork
In your financial agreement you need to ensure that childcare costs are addressed in extensive detail. If you employ a nanny, part-time or full-time, to take care of your children, you need to ensure that the total cost including the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) remittances and workplace safety contributions (note: this goes by various names province to province) remittances are also mentioned in your agreement. I always suggest to clients that they include in their settlement agreements provisions for how the paperwork and tax filings will be handled.

When lives get busy it is easy to forget that these important remittances and deadlines for filing need to be made, so it is a very good idea to hire a third-party to ensure that nothing falls through the cracks. At my company, Tax4Nanny, we have several divorced clients who share the cost of their nanny with their ex-spouses in one way or another. In these cases, we set up both individuals as an employer for tax purposes so that child care can be claimed by each ex-spouse. We also ensure that the tax remittances are considered for the nannies’ total income versus from just one of the (now two) employers. At year-end, the nanny will receive two T4s (one from each employer) and childcare expenses can easily be claimed in proportion to payments made.

Claiming dependents for tax purposes and other tax credits for children
On your personal tax return, if you are single, you can claim your child as an “equivalent to spouse” and be eligible for a larger tax credit than if you were married and both spouses were earning income. You may also be eligible for other tax incentives that relate to children who are income-dependent. The details around this could be a full article in and of itself so it’s not possible to go into all of them here, but do remember one simple thing: In your agreement, it’s an advantage to have the youngest child (or children) as your dependents. Why? Because as kids get older, the tax benefits you receive disappear and having the youngest child (or children) on your tax forms means more years of benefits. In the give and take of an amicable separation process, this may be something for which you make a concession elsewhere.

Principal residence exemption for multiple properties
If your family is fortunate enough to own multiple properties-a home and a cottage or chalet, for example- prior to divorce, it is very important to talk about and include in the settlement agreement how the principal residence exemption will be handled in the eventual sale of these properties. The reason this is so important is because profits on properties that are not your principal residence are subject to capital gains tax. Again, this could be its own article based on all the details involved, but it is an important point to raise here. If you do own multiple properties, it is strongly recommended that you mention to your lawyer that you want to get some separate professional accounting advice in this area, from which you can draw the details to be included in the financial agreement.

There are so many big and small details that need to be addressed in your financial agreement. Even the best lawyer can miss some of these issues, so by educating yourself, and in some cases also consulting with a chartered professional accountant, you can ensure they are included.

We wrote an e-book called 11 Ways to Keep Your Family Weeknights From Spinning Out of Control. To get it for FREE, simply subscribe to our newsletter recapping the best of and the podcast!

Click Here to Subscribe

Please follow and like us:

Gila Ossip

About Gila Ossip

Gila Ossip CPA, CA, MBA is the owner of Tax4Nanny Ltd, a payroll service for families who employ nannies, eldercare caregivers and other domestic employees in Canada. View all posts by

About The Editor

The New Family, a blog site that examines and celebrates modern family life, is run by long-time parenting editor, writer and spokesperson, Brandie Weikle. She is also the host of The New Family Podcast. Former editor-in-chief of Canadian Family magazine, Brandie has also been the parenting and relationships editor for the Toronto Star, founding editor of two Toronto Star websites, and an editor for Today's Parent. Brandie is a single mother of two in Toronto and a frequent television and radio guest on parenting topics. She lives next door to the father of her children and leads a dynamic Facebook community called Positive Co-Parenting After Divorce. You can contact Brandie here. You can find our privacy policy here.

1,000 Families

We'd love to learn about what makes your family tick. To participate in our award-winning guest blog series, The 1,000 Families Project, or "I bet we can find 1,000 ways to be a family" please email us a photo and at least 750 words describing the people in your clan and what life with kids is like for you.